Bowel movements can directly or indirectly affect our general health and mood. As most of us are aware, most of the harmful metabolites in our bodies are eliminated via feces. A fact is that constipation contributes greatly to the development of many diseases since toxins found in such a condition are carried through the bloodstream to other parts of the body. Ultimately, it weakens the vital organs and lowers the system’s resistance. Irregular bowel movements such as constipation have been a serious issue that is often ignored or less talked about. Constipation is a serious issue and should be addressed at its milder stages to avoid chronic ailments in the future.
What is constipation?
Ever seen those indicators flash when your car is out of fuel? Well, constipation is a warning sign that your reserve is empty and you need to hydrate yourself. Dehydration leads to dryness of the colon, making it difficult to pass stool. There can however be serious conditions associated with it like motility issues or neurological conditions. Therefore it is imperative to give your physician a visit if you suffer from constipation.
Indications of constipation :
According to the severity of constipation, the signs and symptoms vary. Here are some of the common symptoms:
- Foul breath and a coated tongue
- Under-eye circles
- An ulcer in the mouth
- A feeling of fullness in the abdomen
- Lumbar region pain
- Heartburn and acidity
How to find a cure- Ayurvedic Perspective
Ancient Ayurvedic scriptures firmly believe that stomach-related illnesses account for approximately 95% of all diseases. It believes that constipation can be uprooted by implementing lifestyle choices and a herb-based diet that revitalizes our digestive tract
Ayurvedic remedy for constipation
Give up your morning coffee- choose water instead:
It is needless to mention that hot beverages like tea or coffee that you cannot do without before you start your day are doing you more harm than good. Caffeine further dries your system and aggravates constipation. Your body is water-starved all through the night. Therefore it needs to make up for the loss and the best way to do it is by having a tall glass of water right after you wake up. You can also have lukewarm water with a few slices of lemon to start your day. This will not only revitalize you but also improve your bowel movement.
The Miracle Water:
Drinking this copper-charged water warm when suffering from constipation is the best treatment. Warm the copper water in the jug over the stove. Once the glassware is full of water, position yourself in a squatting position. While squatting in a low position, drink water slowly. This should stimulate an urge to go. You can also opt to drink your first glass of water in a standing position if you are not able to squat. If you are ready to go after drinking water, don’t wait. Alternatively, you can slowly walk around for 2 minutes, gently rubbing your stomach in a clockwise direction. your bowels.
3. How you sit matters:
Most of us have western-style toilets at home, however physiologically, the Indian-style toilets enable us to sit in a squatting position which facilitates evacuation of feces. Try yoga and other squatting techniques to improve your bowel health.
4. Chew your food properly and avoid eating in a haste
5. Diet and Cure-
Ayurvedic Routine to Cure Constipation Permanently
The Morning Ritual:
You should take three teaspoons of Abhyarishta, three teaspoons of Kumaryasava, and almost equal amounts of warm water. Bhysajya Ratnavali prescribes Abhyarishta as a remedy that treats constipation from the root cause, as it contains over 15 herbs, including Haritaki and Munakka. Intestinal movement is accelerated with this powerful digestive tonic. The Kumarasava preparation mentioned in Yogratnakar uses 15 herbs and Aloe vera. In simple terms, it lubricates the colon, pushes out toxins, and heals it.
- The Afternoon Ritual: Ayurveda talks at length about the importance of wood apple or bael in treating constipation. Incorporate the habit of having 1 glass of bael sharbat (you should have 4 teaspoons of sharbat mixed in 200 ml) between breakfast and lunch. You can also try candy and murabba. Bael is an antimicrobial and antifungal gastrointestinal cleanser because it inhibits bacteria and fungi from growing.
- The Evening Ritual: Flaxseed’s rich oil content, along with its soluble and insoluble fiber content, make it an effective laxative. Add one tablespoon of flaxseeds to 300 ml of water in a pan to make the tea. Boil it for about 15 minutes and strain the seeds after the water has reduced along with the tea. Chew the flax seeds. Flaxseeds have a nice nutty taste and the tea is invigorating for the digestive system.
- The Night-time Ritual: Opt for warm milk with ginger and castor oil.
- The following foods should be avoided:
Congestion requires caution when consuming kidney beans, plants from the cabbage family, and mushrooms
Drink warm water throughout the day instead of chilled water.
Avoid refined flours, white bread, and packaged foods without fiber that clog the gut.
- Food to add to your diet:
In addition to bananas, papaya, guava, grapes, pomegranates, and figs soaked in water, bananas, papaya, and papaya are good for you.
- Ginger and asafetida can greatly benefit you. Curry dishes benefit from their inclusion.
- It is unthinkable to miss out on fiber. It is best to stick to whole grain, semi-brown rice, and millet.
- There is no better food for you than oatmeal. Oats can be dipped in ghee with vegetables or eaten with milk and jaggery powder for breakfast.
- Ensure that you are consuming one teaspoon of desi cow ghee throughout the day for proper lubrication.
- You should consume dairy products as lubricants every day. It is especially good after lunch, especially chaachh or lassi.
- Last but not least, you should chew your food properly. The teeth are certainly important for anybody, but if you have constipation, your stomach can’t do the work that the teeth are supposed to do.
Summary: Adopt these lifestyle changes and see what benefits you and stick to that routine. For quick remedies try the herbal concoctions or in case of a severe issue, it is recommended to go visit your physician.